Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Just Bragging About Dinner

As part of my procrastination routine today, I decided to make chicken pot pie for the first time. I had a chicken brining in the fridge that I smoked for a few hours until it was 30 seconds from fully cooked.

My trusty Brinkmann

I boned the chicken into bite-sized strips and then sautéed some mire poix, mushrooms and frozen corn. I made a few cups of thick béchamel except I used one cup of milk to two cups of chicken stock and then mixed everything together in casserole dish.

There might be a bit of dried oregano and thyme, too.

Then I rolled out a cheddar-buttermilk biscuit crust on top. 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven and presto: chicken pot pie.

Cheese Biscuits!

1-1/2 cups flour 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 stick of cold butter, chopped
1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar
3/4 cup of buttermilk

Mix all the dry ingredients thoroughly, add the butter and pinch it in the flour until it’s the consistency of a coarse meal. Mix in the grated cheese thoroughly then blend in the buttermilk and knead until it just forms a dough. Overkneading will make the biscuits tough. At this point you can make biscuits (baked in a 400 degree oven for 12-15 minutes) but here I rolled my dough out until it covered the casserole pan.

Delicious overkill

Maybe it’s overkill for a solo dinner, but it was rather tasty.

No comments: