Thursday, June 11, 2009

An Inconvenient Lunch

Tomorrow at the movie theaters marks the theatrical release of Food, Inc. This is a documentary directed by Robbie Kenner about the industrialization of food. It incorporates a lot of the subjects covered in The Omnivore’s Dilemma and Fast Food Nation (Eric Schlosser is a co-producer) along with a bunch of stuff that’s happened since their publications. But before you nod off, this movie is will change the way you think about food. Take a gander at the visually dynamic and dramatically galvanizing trailer!

To be fair, I haven’t seen the movie yet and I don’t necessarily agree with all of what I’ve seen in the trailer (I’m not that worried about cloned livestock), but I believe this is an important film. Ugh. That sounds so pretentious. Le cinĂ©ma important. Full disclosure: I do know one of the film’s producer, but since I have a long-standing man crush on Michael Pollan ( the bald dude in the trailer), I’m pretty sure I’d have been first in line regardless.

They screened the film in Sacramento for agricultural lawmakers and it received a hugely positive response to the point where they were trying to organize screenings for the entire state legislature. I don’t know if that happened, but it should. And you should all see it, too. It opens in New York and Los Angeles tomorrow but it opens wider in subsequent weeks – depending on how well it does this weekend. Check here for the schedule. My friend promised me the movie won’t make you want to stop eating.

Now for a little business: Thanks to the few who are reading this silly blog. If you have any feedback, please lay it on me (thanks, Jenna, for the mac & cheese w/beans tip) or leave a comment. Topic ideas, criticisms and factual corrections are welcome. And if you like the blog or know someone who might, feel free to forward the link. I won’t complain.

Lastly, TOMATO UPDATE! The Earthboxes are going crizazy with fruit and growth. The Sweet 100s are living up to their name. A veritable fruit explosion. And I’ve got Yellow Pear, Big Boy, Roma and Early Girls coming up, too. They should start ripening in a couple weeks.

Sweet 100s on the left, Early Girl on the right

Coming along nicely

The DIY Earthboxes haven’t yet experienced the same bounteous growth spurt of the real ones, but I still think they are going to work out. They were planted a few weeks after the other ones and they are in a spot that receives less light. However, the other plants are sucking. They haven’t grown at all. No pictures of them. Too embarrassing.

No comments: